31 July 2008

I'm back!

I arrived safely in Singapore around 1 AM my time (1 PM for most of you). My flights were pretty uneventful, except to say that I would much rather fly in a huge plane than a dinky little one. My 30 minute flight to Detroit was bumpy and a little scary. The bigger planes fly higher up and you don't feel every bump so much.
I ended up knowing someone on both of my long flights. From Detroit to Narita, Japan my friend from PFO (the training I went to last summer) was on this one. She teaches in Seoul, Korea. We had lunch while we were waiting on our flight. Then at Narita I ran into a collegue of mine. We chatted for awhile before we boarded our final plane.
I slept about 4 hours before I left for the airport with my parents on Tuesday. I waited for about an hour into my first long flight (about 12 hours from Detroit to Narita) to take an Advil PM right before our first meal. Then I slept almost the entire way...not straight through. I would wake up frequently to readjust or because a baby in front of me was screaming or because every time the guy behind me got up (which was frequently), he grabbed my seat making me feel like he was shaking it. I had a couple of hours in Narita to walk around and get some exercise. Then I slept again on the other plane! That makes the time go so much more quickly.
I made it through customs and got back into Singapore just fine. Although I forgot to show the guy my green card (that was in my passport) and he gave me a 90 day visitor stamp. When I asked him about it, he was kind of gruff and scolded me for not showing the green card to him. When he started going off in his native language; I can only assume he was complaining. Ooops.
All of my luggage arrived. My collegue and I were able to share a cab home since we live in the same general area. Getting my luggage upstairs was another story. I had to make several trips and empty my big one out a bit before I could lug it up the four flights of stairs. Plus I was kinda tired still.
Anyway, when I got home, I did not encounter any cockroaches who had made themselves at home while we were gone. So that was definitely good. I slept for about 4 and 1/2 hours. Now I'm up. I'm planning to go to the grocery store (since we don't have food) and then I'll work on cleaning and unpacking. I have to be at school tomorrow (and every day after this until the day before school starts), so I don't think I'll go in today.

This summer was my best trip home since I've been in Singapore. I really enjoyed spending time with my family and my friends. Time spent together is very precious. So it was very difficult for me to want to go back. I'm feeling much better now that I'm at home and am looking forward to starting school up again. The beginning of the year is always so much fun! Hopefully, I'll know tomorrow what I'm teaching this year. I'll keep you posted!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it back safe and sound.
Look at you writng here the first day you are back! Impressive! :)
LY~♥~
ps-yep, miss you already :/

Nicole's Adventures said...

Alright, Mom! My first comment! I'm so excited!
I think it's pretty easy to leave one; just click on the "Post Comment" link and then type away. It's a really easy and quick way to communicate :)

Anonymous said...

Yep, I will always be your biggest fan. :)